Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How Many Bags Does an Irongirl Need?

Early this afternoon I was at the pool, doing a 1700m session when, about midway through, I was spoken to by the woman in the next lane.  Her family had joined her but were more interested in splashing around than doing laps, and so she says to me,  "Excuse me, I know you're a really, really good swimmer, but do you mind if I come into your lane with you?".

I'll never know, of course, whether the compliment was paid because I actually did look really good as I headed up and down the lane, or whether there was simply an assumption that I must be a good swimmer due to all the paraphernalia stacked up at the end of the lane...  As an ironman in training,  going for a swim no longer means chucking on a pair of togs, throwing a towel over your shoulder and heading down to the nearest pool.

Oh, no.  A whole stack of gear must be carted around, depending on the training programme for the day.  And today was no exception.  Today I felt distinctly Sherpa-like as I lugged my bag to work, which contained gear for my lunchtime swim and after-work bike on the wind trainer in Tour de Garage.  Anyone looking at today's bag would have thought I was heading out on a week long tramp...

The full list goes something like this:

 Swim Gear:
My Aquasphere Vista Goggles
Pull buoy
Swim fins
swim paddles
  • togs
  • towel
  • goggles
  • cap
  • hair ties
  • pull buoy
  • swim fins
  • swim paddles
  • comb
  • wide rubber band (goes around the ankles when you use the pull buoy to hold your feet together so they don't inadvertently kick)
Bike Gear:
  • bike shorts
  • sports bra
  • singlet/light biking top
  • polypropylene top
  • track pants
  • socks
  • cap
And then into the bag must also go my lunch and snacks (fruit, muesli bars etc) and any additional clothes or shoes that aren't practical to wear on the scooter.

I have two bags that are typically used to take gear to work.  A large one that is used when I go swimming and a smaller one when I don't need to take swim gear.

Is it any wonder, then, that Pete, as a true Dr Who fan, has recognised the immense storage capability of each bag and honoured them with the titles "The Red Tardis" and "The Green Tardis".  Each evening that day's Tardis gets emptied and it never ceases to amaze him how much "stuff" can be found in each - in true Tardis style.

Just as well I'm not a handbag collector!  Oh, and of course I was happy to share my lane :)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment