Monday, November 1, 2010

Auckland Marathon - But I'm on the Sidelines

One of my favorite events over the last few years has been the Auckland Marathon.  Well, the half marathon to be precise.  It's a scenic course that starts on the north shore in Devonport, winds its way over rolling terrain through the northern suburbs before providing a unique opportunity to run over the Auckland Harbour Bridge and finish almost in the heart of the CBD, at Victoria Park.

The event is becoming ever more popular and entries sold out in record time this year.  St Pete entered the full marathon and, instead of entering the half marathon for what would have been the fourth time, I was detailed to be support crew.

The reason for that is that, with just over 4 months to go to ironman, Coach Dave decided running a half marathon at this stage in the year would not be a good idea.  The logic behind this was similar to his instruction that I not complete the half ironman at Lake Hood next month. Basically the problem is with the recovery time from running those distances, which could compromise the quality of the rest of training at a time when I am starting to do some big distances on the bike and in the pool.

So I played support crew and Pete had a great day.  And it definitely felt good to see that two of our top ironmen, Jo Lawn and Terenzo Bozzone, were also on the sidelines for the event.  They were probably recovering from Kona but, I didn't mind, I was in good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment