Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Getting Organised

All of a sudden a lot of what I'm sorting out at the moment are actual details for Taupo - it's not just about training...although there's still a lot of training happening!

First of all there was a clothing malfunction to sort out.  The plastic pull tag on the zip of my purple 2XU trisuit decided to pull away (literally) leaving the whole outfit in no fit state for an ironman event, when everything must be in perfect working order.  At least it didn't happen the day before...  So it was down to The Frontrunner for a replacement.  My entry into the South Island Half Ironman came with a free 2XU tri top so I figured I really only need a new pair of tri pants - so that's what I got.  I've now gone from wearing a "unique" easily recognisable purple one piece suit to a black two piece ensemble that will probably be impossible to pick out in a crowd.  Never mind, comfort is more important and the pants are awesome.

Then my drink bottle holder on the bike started coming loose.  And, no, simply tightening the screws didn't help - in fact the screws weren't loose.  It was the bits embedded in the bike frame, that the screws screw into, that had started to pull out of the frame.  Confused?  Don't worry, St Pete was, too, when I tried to explain it to him!  Never mind, a quick trip down to John Bull soon got that sorted out.  Nothing like refixing the mounts and using bigger screws to fix it.  There's no moving the bottle holder now.  I hope.

Finally, had a rejig of my nutrition - call that a complete change...!  Current top contenders are PowerBar Gels (I know these will be provided on course), PowerBar Gel Blasts (like wine gums but softer and they don't stick to your teeth) and Em's Power Cookies (just all round oaty, chocolatey goodness, and made by Emily Miazga, the effervescent woman and Coast to Coast winner who runs alongside Tour de France riders in nothing but a yellow bikini).  Oh, and the Horley's Hydration drink - that hasn't changed. Yum!!!

Must start looking out for distinctive stickers for my bike helmet....don't want to be getting lost in the crowd now.

No comments:

Post a Comment