Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Today's word of the day ... EXCITRIFIED

EXCITRIFIED: The feeling of being excited and petrified in equal measures. Commonly experienced by first time Ironman athletes in the final days of training. Can also be experienced by anyone about to embark on a new challenge.

OK, you're not going to find this in any dictionary but a google search brings up a whole 9 previous uses of the word, so maybe Ironjack and I are onto a new thing. And if you can't comprehend the idea of what it feels like to staring Ironman in the face, one of the google search entries also used it to describe the impending experience of giving birth. That should sort almost half of you out.

So, yes, I am excitrified. On Sunday I was trashed and in no state of mind to celebrate, acknowledge, or even put on a glimmer of a smile at the thought of having arrived at my taper. But a good night's sleep and a return to a sensible body temperature (after the extreme heat of Sunday it rained all day Monday - go figure) have put the joy back into life and I am now ready to celebrate the countdown to 5 March.

Yesterday I caught up with Coach Dave, who pronounced me ready. He went through the race day plan and talked through different strategies to remember. Things like hydrating with electrolytes rather than just water from the Thursday onwards. Starting the swim wide to keep out of the main crush of swimmers. Keeping my heart rate low on the bike, and getting into the "green is for go" zone, and not worry about what anyone else is doing. About only focusing on running to the next aid station.

There was a lot more that we talked about and which I will cover in later blogs but the most important thing Coach Dave wanted me to focus on was to enjoy the moment. It's my day and I've worked hard to get there. My time will be irrelevant, it's all about finishing with a smile on my face.

And, yes, that makes me excitrified!

No comments:

Post a Comment