Monday, August 8, 2011

Enjoying a Hill Ride

Sunday morning, as regular as a church outing, we are out riding.  Coach Dave decided it was that time of the year when we should be getting back into the hills, but post-earthquake our options have become quite limited.  Half of the Summit Rd above Christchurch is closed due to rockfalls.  Evans Pass, the road between Lyttelton and Sumner is also closed, and is apparently so munted it possibly won't reopen.

So we took the only other real option: up Hackthorne and Dyers Pass Roads to the Sign of the Kiwi, turn right onto the part of the Summit Road that is open, head all the way along until we hit Gebbies Pass, turn right and head down Gebbies, right onto the main Akaroa-Christchurch highway and back home via the compulsory coffee stop at Tai Tapu.

It was a gorgeous day, not too cold, no wind and beautiful views across to the snow-capped southern alps as we headed along the Summit Road.

It was also a day when I had the opportunity to reflect yet again on the progress I've made in the last 12 months.  This time last year I would have been freaking out about biking up Hackthorne, especially in a group.  However today I chugged my way up, led the way down and when we stopped at Tai Tapu for coffee made Coach Dave do a double-take with my comment:

"I really enjoyed that".

Who would have thought...


No comments:

Post a Comment