Saturday, July 10, 2010

What's in a Name?


What a PC, gender-neutral, world we live in.  The first time I mention to people that I am doing ironman, virtually everyone responds with "ironperson", or "ironwoman".  What is it with this overriding desire to emasculate everything we talk about these days?

Ironman is tough - damn tough.  No matter how you look at it, it's a long day at the office and, whether you come in after 9 or 16 hours, about the only thing that can be guaranteed is that it is going to take every athlete  to their absolute limits.  As I come down that finish chute I'll be happy to hear that famous phrase amongst those familiar with the event:  "[insert name here], you are an IRONMAN!"  Ironman has a certain air of invincibility about it.  You know that, no matter what your gender, you've gutsed it out along with the other 1499 other athletes out there.

So please, no more of this ironwoman, or ironperson palaver.  It's ironman.

OK, OK, so you've noticed a small inconsistency in my argument.  Yes, I know, I've called myself Irongirl. Why not Ironman101?  (The 101, by the way, is all about indicating that I am at beginner level in all of this!).  It's actually based on a personal moniker that goes back several years when I owned a Toyota MR2 and had a personalised number plate "MR2GAL".  The "gal" has morphed into "girl" and fits my not-yet-ready-to-grow-old attitude to life.  Well, that's my story (and this is my blog) and I'm sticking to it!

Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment