Sunday, August 8, 2010

Some Days It Just Doesn't Happen - But That's OK

The end of another week and the countdown continues.  208 days and counting.  This was a week which reinforced the message that the journey to ironman is never going to be perfect.  Some days training goes well, other days you wonder why you got out of bed.

2010 Christchurch Half Marathon
And that happened this week with my running.  Running is something I have a real love-hate relationship with.  I love running because it's good for me (keeps me fit, helps control my weight) and yet I also hate it because it's bloody hard work.  Most people would say forget it, do something you like.  And, yes, I do question my sanity virtually every time I head out the door (especially in the middle of winter)! 

However because it's not easy, the aerobic workout I feel I get from going for a run is much better than swimming and biking, activities I enjoy much more and would do for fun.  I feel like I have to work harder running than I do swimming and biking and so it feels like I'm getting more benefit from it.  To encourage myself to run, then, I've ensured I've had goals to work towards, i.e. the almost dozen half marathons I've now completed and the two full marathons.

You see, running because it's good for me is not a motivator, but working towards completing an event is.  I'm not interested in going out and training just because I should.  However training to complete an event provides that reason.  And while I might hate going out the door and starting out on a run, the feeling of completing the training, the distance, or the event more than makes up for it.  It feels fantastic!

Wednesday night, then, I was due to do a 60 minute run, with some pace drills.  My body had other ideas.  I felt sluggish, tired, there was no gas in the tank.  After 2 km I called it a night and we walked home - on one hand annoyed that I didn't complete the programme but on the other hand understanding and accepting that sometimes you just need to let your body catch up with things and if it's not happening, it's not happening.

After spending the rest of the evening in the la-z-boy being waited on by St Pete, I had an early night and was back to normal the next day.

In contrast, my run with the club yesterday went great.  We set out from the clubrooms and headed down to Bowenvale Ave before climbing up Bowenvale Track to Victoria Park and then down Dyers Pass Rd and back up Barrington St to the club.  I did a comfortable 6:00 min pace for the first 5km to the start of the track which we walked up.  It was then a reasonably conservative jog down Dyers Pass Rd and then a final 1.8km up Barrington St.  I was feeling pretty good on this last stretch and so picked up the pace a bit and was stoked when we got home to find that I had done the Barrington St leg at 5:40 minute pace.  Outstanding.

So, just goes to show, a bad session has no bearing on how you're going to go a few days later.  Awesome!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment