Monday, August 30, 2010

The Tardis Gets a Workout

A few weeks ago I blogged about the logistics involved with ironman training and, in particular, the vast capacity of the red Tardis.

This past week the red Tardis has stepped up another level in its abilities and our military precision has had another dimension added to the organisation in our household.  This has all come about because of yet another facet that has been added to my training plan... 

Swim Camp.

When you think about swim camp you might think about a weekend or week spent doing a couple of swims a day and the rest of the day sitting or lying around recovering and enjoying the sunshine.  Well that's my romanticised view of it!  However back in the real world, swim camp still means two swims per day, but that is fitted around full time work commitments.  While a genuine swim camp allows you to focus on the swimming only, my ironman swim camp gets fitted around everything else happening in the day, i.e. work.

So my typical swim camp day goes something like this:
5.30am - alarm goes off.  Togs on, spare work clothes, breakfast, lunch and second pair of togs and towel into the Tardis, eat a banana.
5.45am - scooter roars into life and I'm on the way to the pool.
6.00am - pool opens and I'm there with the first morning rush.
6.10am - starting my first swim session of the day.
7.00am - 1900m session finished (distance varies slightly but you get the idea) and I'm in the shower.
7.30am - arrive at work.  Unpack breakfast and lunch.  Throw a bagel into the toaster and make a herbal tea.
7.45am - logged in and eating breakfast while starting to sort through the day's work and emails.
1.00pm - (time varies according to the day's meeting schedule, but you get the idea) head out to Jellie Park.
1.30pm - in the pool for second swim of the day.
2.15pm -1900m session finished and I'm in the shower.
2.45pm - arrive back at work.
5.30-6.00pmish - finish work for the day and head home.  Both sets of togs and towels in the washing machine and then on the heated towel rail overnight so they are both ready to go again the following day.
9.30pm - bedtime!

So the Tardis now deals with my breakfast and another pair of togs and towel and it's no wonder I feel decidedly like a packhorse when I leave home in the mornings!

Swim camp has been good, though.  It's been an effective way of getting some real distance under my belt and I am now swimming around 4km on swim camp days, albeit in two batches.

Next thing I'll start growing gills...

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment